I am using the SMTP module (7.x-1.0) on Drupal 7. The site is hosted on a cloud server on which I've installed LAMP. My SMTP config settings are:
- SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP port: 465
- Use encrypted protocol: SSL
- Username: email@example.com
- Password: [password]
- E-mail from address: firstname.lastname@example.org
When I try to send a test email, I get two messages and an error in the "Reports > Recent log messages":
- A test e-mail has been sent to email@example.com. You may want to check the logs for any error messages.
- Unable to send e-mail. Contact the site administrator if the problem persists.
- Error sending e-mail (from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com).
The email is NOT sent. However, the email appears in "Reports > Maillog" (Maillog module).
There is an error in /var/log/apache2/error.log:
sh: 1: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found
- I was under the impression that the SMTP module avoids the need for Sendmail.I thought, the whole point was that it uses an external SMTP server. I found the following issue by the way: drupal.org/node/1078106.