I am new to Drupal and partly taking it up because I want to use it as a front-end for MySQL when I move from Windows to Linux (instead of MS Access).
I'm getting the impression there isn't much interest in people who use Drupal in Windows (e.g. my current OS Windows 7) with Apache.
Does anyone know if it is actually possible to get Clean_URLs working with W7 + Apache? NB I have enabled mod_rewrite in httpd.conf.
Perhaps you won't be surprised to know that I'm looking for the long answer, not just "yes" :-)
Having enabled mod_rewrite, I restarted Apache, went back to my site and went Config --> Clean URLs. I still get "Clean URLs cannot be enabled"
Before this gets squashed as a dupe, in the referenced answer it is not clear to me where "AccessFileName" goes in httpd.conf. Also I have put one of 3 instances of "AllowOverride"s in httpd.conf to "All" (inside the <Directory /> section). I have also
1) tried putting the AccessFileName directive inside this <Directory /> section: result: Apache won't restart
2) tried setting the other 2 "AllowOverride"s in the file to "None": result: Apache restarted but trying to locate to the site reported an error
NB I've also tried putting the AccessFileName at the end of the file... still get "The clean URL test failed". I think ".htaccess" is almost certainly the default filename anyway
NB2 This is not WAMPP: I have individually configured Apache, PHP and MySQL to work together. So there's no WAMPP console as such.
later still I really don't think just referring to that other answer will provide a solution.
Following the instructions at Drupal page https://www.drupal.org/getting-started/clean-urls#general, I have reason to believe that my .htaccess file is being ignored (not read by Apache).
Secondly, of the three cases of "AllowOverride" in httpd.conf, only one can be changed to "All" without my getting a "Server error" after I restart Apache and try to point the browser at the page.
I confess I just don't know enough about Apache (or Drupal) to understand how to get Apache (not in a WAMPP stack!) to modify .htaccess as it appears to need to.