I have this Drupal 7.15 site (it needs an upgrade, I know).
I have some public and private files in there (all according to my settings). I have a public file field and a private file field.
So, using my private field, I can upload some files that are set to private (I've set the allowed extensions as: .zip, .pdf, .jpg, .png, .gif, and some more). I'm the only user allowed to use the private field.
When I upload an image file (png, jpg or gif), it does get uploaded ok, but when trying to click on the link I get a "404 error". When there's any other file type uploaded, everything works just fine.
The private files field is inside a content type that is set as a "group content type".
All files get uploaded ok and they do appear at the list of uploaded files in the normal way.
Some configuration information
- My Apache file handler is mode_php (aka DSO).
- Permissions and file owner of all files (images or not) are the very same: rw-rw-r-- (664)
- Group and owner are the same too (images or not): nobody and nobody
- All files are being uploaded to the same folder: ../files/private/filename.ext
- All files get the same symlink: ../system/files/filename.ext
But only the pdf file is accessible to users (with perms to view the node). Even as an admin I get the 404 error when trying to access the image files.