I have tried to perform this action several times, only to find that I can never login to the previously created database when I setup my local environment. I have recently picked up the practice to have two sites: development and production, sometimes a third one in between.
Here is my process, maybe I am ommiting a step or two:
- Create fresh local Database (same name as online) with PHPMyAdmin
- Install Drupal 6 using this database
- Setup Drupal installation
- Import online Database backup onto new local installation
- And here is where I get stuck everytime, with the dreaded:
Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)*
I have edited settings.php file to work from local to online, so I thought I understood how to do this process in reverse, but apparently I don't.
As a last resource, I have even changed admin's and other user's passwords directly in the database via PHPMyAdmin, and used these in settings.php so I might log in, but it just won't happen.