So, having read through:
- What are all the directories for in the new Drupal 8 structure?
- Cloning site and $config_directories
- https://www.drupal.org/node/2360331 (especially #19 and #20)
... I'm still not sure what is best way to go when setting up a D8 project with git.
modules and themes
Apparently, the contributed/ custom modules and themes folders have moved from D7:
in D8. When I copy modules to
/sites/all/modules D8 does recognize them. But when I add modules via Admin UI, they get downloaded to
/modules So, which folder to git? Is it generally bad practice now to go for
Formerly, we had this file and git structure (D7):
/ ↳ www.example.com ↳ sites ↳ all -> /repo/repo.git/all ↳ repo ↳ repo.git ↳ all
Now, I imagine it way more complex:
/ ↳ www.example.com ↳ modules -> /repo/repo.git/modules ↳ themes -> /repo/repo.git/themes ↳ repo ↳ repo.git ↳ modules ↳ themes
just for the modules and themes.
This leads me to the question: what about
I understand that this folder is being used for the configuration files, but:
- is it right that my local dev environment and the staging/ prod environments have their very own folder?
- is the usage of configuration files necessary when we only tend to have one "real", always up-to-date main database (prod/live)?
- should the conf be tracked and deployed with git? Why?
Thanks a lot!