I am struggling with a remote drush error since days, and don't find the cause. I already checked the Internet up and down for an answer, but could not find a solution for my problem (here,here and many more):

I have one specific D7 setup that I remotely manage by drush, running Drush 8 on both sides (started with 7 on both sides, and upgraded meanwhile both to 8) My local Drush can do a drush @anysite_in_aliases status and it works, so I assume there is no problem at my local drush. My remote drush can do that as well - if I log in at my remote server and call drush status in the drupal directory, it works.

Only if I call drush @specialsite status I get this:

Drush command terminated abnormally due to an unrecoverable error.                                          [error]

I tried to use --debug on it, the relevant part is:

Drush bootstrap phase : bootstrap_drupal_database() [0.28 sec, 8.04 MB]                                 [bootstrap]
Successfully connected to the Drupal database. [0.28 sec, 8.04 MB]                                      [bootstrap]
Find command files for phase 4 (max=7) [0.28 sec, 8.04 MB]                                                  [debug]
Drush bootstrap phase : bootstrap_drupal_full() [0.28 sec, 8.04 MB]                                     [bootstrap]
Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at                             [warning]
phar:///home/example/bin/drush/includes/output.inc:41) common.inc:705 [1.16 sec, 32.14 MB]
Drush command terminated abnormally due to an unrecoverable error. [1.17 sec, 32.68 MB]                     [error]
End redispatch via drush_invoke_process(). [3.62 sec, 7.99 MB]                                             [notice]

And here I stuck. I know that there must be a whitespace before/after a php tag somewhere, or an error message that is sent before the header. But I can't find out where I can get nearer to the culprit. I've read up and down all the causes for that error - but my problem is: WHAT causes that error??

BTW: I am using Uberspace as server (CentOS 6), already thought maybe is drush called as php-cgi?? How do I check this?

My aliases lines:

$aliases['example.live'] = array(
  'uri' => 'http://example.org',
  'root' => '/var/www/virtual/example/html',
  'remote-host' => 'example.org',
  'remote-user' => 'example',

Could anybody enlighten me?

  • Interesting problem. Are you able to run "drush rq" locally and remotely and compare the output? I see the output that causes "headers already sent" is coming from includes/output.inc Are you capable of editing that file so we can get the output?
    – hansfn
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 16:26
  • aaaaahhhhh. That could be the culprit. I get a The following module is missing from the file system: <em class="placeholder"> ... This is given out at stderr I suppose, and therefore causing that problem. At the remote version this problem does not occur. And yes, I can edit what I want, have full access. But maybe we don't need that any more.
    – nerdoc
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 22:37
  • Nup. Adding the 2 modules that seemed to be missing locally did not do the trick. drush rq now runs without an error, but I still cant do a drush @remote status. drush rq output following ASAP.
    – nerdoc
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 22:40
  • Here is the local output: pastebin.com/3rHnzinf - and here is the remote one: pastebin.com/mrGf3L5F
    – nerdoc
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 23:07
  • I meant the output from drush rq for the same server but run locally (on the remote server) and remotely using a site alias. This is the output from two different machines.
    – hansfn
    Commented Dec 15, 2016 at 7:30


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.