When I upgrade my Drupal 7 core I do the following process:
- Download and unzip d7 release as d7_upgrade
- Delete the sites folder in the d7_upgrade
- Move the sites folder from my original site into d7_upgrade
- Rename the old D7 folder to d7_old
- Rename the d7_upgrade to original folder name
- drush updb
Majority of the non-core files reside in /sites for D7.
I know D8 has a different structure, but is the same upgrade process going to be the same? I know I would have to move over /themes /modules /sites
Is there anything else I need to move over? Or is there a better method of doing this? I want to upgrade to D8.3 beta to test on my site.