I installed Views Data Export module on a Drupal 7.50 site and it works beautifully. I am trying to incorporate it now into a new website (which happens to be 7.54). I have cleared all the Drupal caches as well as the browser cache and have checked that the module is enabled. I also have Views Excel Export extension installed and enabled on both sites.
Update: I thought I checked the versions, as I installed them on the same day, but somehow, the one on the site that works is an older version (3.1 vs. 3.2).
I tried uninstalling it and installing the older version but it didn't resolve the issue. I also checked permissions but there aren't permissions for this module.
Here is the conversation on Drupal.org with no resolution.