I'm trying to keep all files on a D8 site in the private filesystem so that I can rely on Drupal to deal with the permissions. The problem is, it seems like when an image is in the Private filesystem, it's derivatives (image styles) don't get created. The original image is available (at system/files//, and rightfully NOT available to those without permission (for instance, anon can see it if it's published, but can't get to the file at it's URI if I unpublish that node.)
- Apache has full read/write access to the private directory (which I have one level up from the Drupal root directory), as should hopefully be evidenced by being able to put the raw image file in.
- When I switch to public filesystem, it works, so (in addition to having checked all the permissions for /tmp and even trying alternative tmp folders) I don't think it's a /tmp directory issue
- I'm using the media module, so also the file_entity module
- This was working at some point, but a Drupal update seems to have broke it (or, at least, it was good timing.) This is my own personal project, so it was some time ago and I'm only now getting around to trying to fix it.
- I've attempted in on multiple sites on the same server, and they both do it.
- Both were Drupal 8, and I tried with both PHP 7 and 5.6