I have been manually updating Drupal 8 core successfully until now. When I try to update from
8.7.7 it goes to a new install.
Here is what I did
- Back up database, and back up entire site folder to my computer hard drive
- Upload new Drupal Core folder to my computer hard drive
modules, profiles, sites, themesfolders from new Drupal Core folder
- Swap in old
modules, profiles, sites, themes and librariesfolders from old Drupal site to new Drupal Core folder
- Upload new Drupal core folder to c-panel
- Put site into maintenance mode
- Change name of original site to "Old original site"
- Change name of Drupal Core folder to "original site"
- Take site out of maintenance mode
In the past, this worked, and the site was updated. This time, the site goes to a new-install. To deactivate the new install, I went back to the c-panel, and renamed everything to the original names, and the site was back to its original un-updated state.