2

I have just upgraded a site from Drupal 8.7 to 8.8, and I now have a broken site.

Pages on the site (mainly admin pages) are now giving the following error:

Drupal\Component\Plugin\Exception\PluginNotFoundException: The "entity:path_alias" plugin does not exist. Valid plugin IDs for Drupal\Core\TypedData\TypedDataManager are: entity_revision, entity_revision:block, entity_revision:block_content, entity_revision:block_content:basic, entity_revision:block_content:paragraph_in_block_display, entity_revision:block_content_type ...

(I've truncated it because it goes on at some length about the entity types available)

Clearly something has gone wrong during the upgrade process. I've run all the module updates via composer, and database upgrades, and imported the config that was exported from a development instance of the site that has successfully been upgraded.

  • drush updb tells me that all the database updates have been done.
  • drush cim tells me that my config has been imported correctly.
  • drush en pathauto, path_alias tells me that those modules are already installed.
  • drush cr clears the cache, but does not resolve the issue.

I'm aware that the issue is due to the Pathauto / path_alias changes that occurred between D8.7 and D8.8, and I'm aware that I've probably missed a step during the upgrade process. That doesn't matter right now; what matters is how to fix it now that I'm in this situation. Any help appreciated.

  • I think your pathauto is not up to date, Install the latest version of pathauto and then do drush updb – No Sssweat Feb 26 at 12:14
  • Ideally you need to restore from backup and do the upgrade again, making sure to update the pathauto module first. The 8.8 upgrade notes specifically mention that if you don't do the pathauto upgrade first, you may lose data, so trying to backtrack from here without the help of a backup could be impossible – Clive Feb 26 at 12:22
  • 1
    To be clear, I ran this update locally and on the staging site successfully before attempting it on live. I had some issues locally but I resolved them and the staging upgrade went 100% smoothly. Staging very closely mirrors production. I've now also re-run it on stage, using last night's production backup, and still no problems, which is why I'm baffled why live went wrong. Additionally, the logging from the upgrade process on live shows the DB upgrades going through successfully, including the 8003 upgrade for path_alias entities. – Spudley Feb 26 at 12:44
  • 1
    Try to separate deployments for pathauto and D8.8: First update pathauto to v1.6, then in a second, separate deployment update to Drupal v8.8+. Don't push both updates in the same deployment to the live server. – Hudri Feb 26 at 13:38
  • 2
    Thanks for all the input everybody. Given the urgency and given the potential for corrupt data, we went with a full restore from backup. We will re-evaluate our position from here on how to get the upgrade done. – Spudley Feb 26 at 14:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.