0

A drupal 7 website I am developing is repeatingly crashing. After each crash, I can't access any further pages on the website, in any browser, until I restore the database from a backup and remove half of the modules from the sites/all/modules directory.

The error I get on the browser is "connection reset". Each time I restore from a backup ( I have to remove about half of the modules from the sites/all/modules directory so it will start working), it crashes again at the same points:

  • When I enter any content type fields editing screen, all I see is 'connection reset' error. (on some other pages it happends too).
  • When I try to run a database-related drush command (including drush db-drop), I get a segmentation fault message.

Initial Analysis:

  • That database is OK, at least from the MySQL point of view.
  • When I restore it, it doesn't work until I remove about half of the modules.
  • PHP memory limit is 800M so that's not the issue. It seems some of the modules have compatibility problems but how do I find which (No errors appear on the server's error log - the crashes are not logged).
  • There might be some confusion inside the Drupal tables (e.g. content type definitions or menu definitions).

My questions:

  • Which tools can I use to debug such a situation?
  • What are the possible causes?
  • How do I check for internal inconsistency insider the drupal respository definitions?

The site is hosted on a linux server with CentOS

Thanks

Amnon

  • Taking a stab here...what's the max_allowed_packet variable in my.cnf set to at the moment? – Clive Jun 7 '12 at 16:23
  • Did you try to set up the site in your local machine or test environment to discard a problem with Drupal. It sounds like your problem is server related, as Clive mentioned it might be a problem with max_allowed_packet – cayerdis Jun 7 '12 at 17:30
  • Added an 'Initial Analysis' section above and additional notes: After each crash, I can't access any further pages on the website, in any browser, until I restore the database from a backup and remove about half of the modules from the sites/all/modules directory. Will try your suggestions soon. – Druvision Jun 8 '12 at 15:32
  • @clive, max_allowed_packet is 500M at the moment. – Druvision Jun 9 '12 at 22:44
  • 2
    It was a PHP error. The moment I reverted to earlier backup of the PHP files, everything was fixed (so it was seemingly related to a version of one of the modules). The drupal data repository remained intact. – Druvision Jun 10 '12 at 5:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.