I've built all my site apart from the frontpage which right now shows:
No front page content has been created yet.
The frontpage will be the most complex page of all, containing a lot of boxes (blocks) which will be presenting lists of items.
I've got 2 solutions for this problem and I'd like to know which one is best.
solution 1 - blocks
- create the ~10 blocks that the frontpage needs
- make them translatable
- use description prefix "front -" for easier identification in
- configure "Only the listed pages":
- somehow remove the "No front page content has been created yet" message
This solution seems very tunable. The CM will be able to do whatever he wants with the individual view blocks of the frontpage. On the other hand there will be too many blocks in the administration page (but only 1 for all languages).
solution 2 - node
- create a node
- the node should be of a type which has fields for configuring the fetching and displaying of items. e.g fields:
- int: number of news to fetch
- int: number of events to fetch
- bool: should display teaser
- html: teaser content
admin/config/system/site-informationset that node as Default frontpage
The drawback of this is that I should implement the fetching and display, and if the CM wants to change something that the content type does not support I'll need to implement it. On the other hand I'll have full flexibility in HTML if I provide a separate template just for this content type.
So, is there a definite winner between those 2? Also note that, for various reasons, I don't want to use