A significant minority of our users repeatedly experience login failures and have to reset their passwords every time. Can anyone suggest possible solutions please? Details as follows.
Apparently, the behaviour is as follows:
- User opens login page, enters valid username and password.
- Login fails, repeatedly!
- User requests password reset. Then, using link from e-mail able to: reset password, login and access their account
- Next login, user has to repeat process.
Unfortunately, we can't duplicate the issue ourselves. But we have looked through Drupal logs and Apache access logs and observed the following:
- The problem is not confined to a specific browser (seen on IE, Safari, Firefox) nor a specific OS (seen on Windows, Mac, iPad)
- The users do generally have cookies turned on. We have inserted some custom code to warn users with cookies turned off and write "cookies disabled" to Drupal logs.
- Clearing all caches in Drupal doesn't fix issue.
- Clearing cookies in browser doesn't fix issue either, one of our users has tried.
We are running Apache on an Ubuntu server.
In settings.php, $base_url is commented out; $cookie_domain is also commented out. It was set, but we decided it was safer to remove it although, I'm not sure that made any difference.
We are using "Profile2" and "Profile2 Registration Path" modules. However, I doubt those modules are the source of our problems as I cannot find any record of anyone else having login problems with those modules.
Do you have any suggestion?
I should have mentioned, the site is running Drupal 7.13.
When the user clicks on the password reset link they are currently prompted to change their password.
We have also asked one user to try another browser but sadly, that didn't fix their problem. Also we have noticed that the problem on IE, Firefox & Safari so, we don't think it's browser specific