I am trying to output node fields in different theme regions, particularly a node reference field into my theme's right sidebar region. I have read this is possible with display suite and display suite extra modules, but I only see display suite regions (left, right...) and doesn't seem to be aware of my theme regions. How can I accomplish this?
Try the cck_blocks module. Once installed, you can enable field blocks per field via the field settings page.
Then in the display settings, hide the field in the default/full view and show it in the cck blocks view mode.
There's a few ways, but one reasonably simple way, still using theme regions, is with Views.
- Add a "Block" display to a View
- Add a "Contextual filter" for "Node ID"
- Set contextual filter "Default value" to "Content ID from URL".
- Add your entity reference fields etc.. to the View display and save.
- Set the block visibility on your node page.
The View will then pickup the node id and show the relevant fields from that node.
Information on how to do this can be found in the Add fields to a block page of the Display Suite documentation