I am about to write a custom module to allow for non-user authors (called Authors for the rest of this question).
Use Case is really the corporate website
- Person publishing content to the website is not the author
- Actual authors are many and potentially multiple on a specific article
- There is no reason to create the authors as users on the CMS
- When editing an article the editor can select one or many "Authors" for the article.
- If none is selected then the creator of the article is displayed as the Author.
- Author would be used in place of User when article displays on the front end.
- If configured Authors would have a block on a node showing Author content fields (image, role ...).
- Users can be associated with an Author through an Entity reference field.
- Re-use profiles on corporate About the Team page
Am I crazy, does a module exist, should I just create them as system users with no privileges and use an existing module? Just seems wrong to give manage users rights to website editor so that they can edit these profiles.