I've had the following problem a few times and can't find a satisfactory answer to it anywhere.
- I create a new content type
- add content for this new type
- then, when the system displays the finished content after save, all of the new fields are missing (yes I made sure they were set to 'display' in the manage display tab)
- on editing this new node, none of the fields display, all I get is the node title field and the tabbed options (eg comments, create version, menus etc)
I've read that this is caused by a permission problem. That sounded good, so I checked the permissions after creating the new content type and sure enough, there were no boxes checked for the new content type.
I checked all of the boxes for the admin role for the content type and still nothing. I've rebuilt the permissions and cleared the cache. Still nothing.