I have been trying to theme my taxonomy page output following this tutorial
The tutorial suggest using taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php to override the default output and embed a view.
Unfortunately I have not been successful. It seems that taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php is totally ignored.
I thought I had a solution when I started using page-taxonomy-term.tpl.php instead, this seems to get picked up however $tid is not passed to this template so I am unable to pull the taxonomy items.
I am using drupal 6.26.
According to the video tutorial
Step 1) Create a blank file named taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php within theme folder
Step 2) Navigate to a taxonomy page. This should produce a page (with headers and footers) but no actual content, since taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php overrides the taxonomy output and this file is currently empty.
It is at Step 2 that I am stuck. The taxonomy pages return a page filled with taxonomy nodes, it seems that taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php is being ignored. I have flushed all caches and I cannot seem to figure out what is outputting the current content.
SOLUTION (a bad one)
Since I have spent so much time on this I decided to scrap the idea of using taxonomy_term_page.tpl.php because in my setup it simply wasn't overriding the taxonomy pages.
Instead I am using page-taxonomy-term.tpl.php which does override the taxonomy pages in my setup. However the downside to this is that this template does not have $tids available to use as required by the tutorial. So to get this I have used the following code in page-taxonomy-term.tpl.php
It essentially takes the query string in the url which looks like taxonomy/term/10. Then explodes the string by slashes and uses the last portion for it's tid.
It's nasty, disgusting, but I'm in a rush. If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to know.