I'm trying to build a site which should have gallery functionality. I think we should be able to solve this with Drupal 7. So my question is: is there any module/feature etc. (or any combination of modules), which can solve the following?
- The site is on Drupal 7.
- (A) We will have a gallery manager role. Every user with that role should be able to upload and manage his/her own galleries. We will have at least 10 person with this role.
- (B) A gallery should be able to contain/display/manage ~100 pictures, so batch uploading and editing (for captions, ordering, etc.) is necessary.
- Support for usual Drupal goodies like image styles, Views etc.
- Support for a clearbox-like display, preferably integration with the Colorbox module.
- Support for YouTube videos in galleries would be nice, but not a must have.
I've already checked a lot of suggestions in the topic. Alternatives that probably won't work in my case (please correct me if I'm wrong):
- A Drupal 7 version of Node Gallery would solve almost all of this, but it's not likely that we will see anything like that soon. edit: Node Gallery is now completely and totally unsupported, meaning that we won't see a D7 port ever.
- Media Gallery is a somewhat incomplete module - I've tried to build the functionality above with that, but I can't see any way to support point (A), not to mention a big bunch of bugs that would make it impossible to use it on a production site. Also it's not maintained well.
- Field Slideshow is just a nice formatter, I don't think it's possible to use anything like that in my use case. As far as I can understand, a formatter-based solution won't scale well enough for (B), not to mention the missing management functionality. Gallery formatter is the same from my point of view.
I would appreciate any suggestions on solving this. I'm not afraid of building something from scratch (whether it means playing around in Views, coding or both), but at least I would like to know where to start to achieve all of this.