I'm experiencing a strange issue that I'm having a really hard time debugging.
When I save a user account (of an authenticated user) as an admin, the account is saved, but when the page reloads I get an access denied and I am suddenly logged in as the user I saved, not the admin. This happens whether I save the account in the UI (via the People page) or save the account using a rules action.
Recently, I added a custom function and modified a few of my rules, so these changes are likely to be the cause of the problem. The site is version-controlled using git, so I can roll back to a working version, but I would like to attempt to determine what I did wrong.
I have Netbeans working with Xdebug. I just don't know where to set breakpoints or how otherwise to start looking for the source of this problem.