I'm using the "filtered HTML" text format in the node body with the "convert URLs into links" option enabled. I would like to have all external links open in a new window. How can I do that?
The External Links module does exactly that:
External Links is a small module used to differentiate between internal and external links. Using jQuery, it will find all external links on a page and add an external icon indicating it will take you offsite or a mail icon for mailto: links.
- Apply icons to either mailto: or external links or both.
- Configure external links to open in a new window.
- A confirmation message when leaving the site.
- Regular expression inclusion and exclusion of links considered external.
- CSS selector inclusion and exclusion of elements for processing
theme_link(&variables) in your template.php file.
$variables['path'] for scheme declaration at the beginning. If there is none, leave it be. If there is some, add target to attributes:
$variables['options']['attributes']['target'] = '_blank';
Of course it bases on assumption that your HTML version supports
target attribute, but this version is also theme-dependent, and most browsers will respect it even if technically it shouldn't be there.
You can use the Linkit module and add a "target" attribute at admin/config/content/linkit/manage/default/attributes/add
It has two options:
- Selectlist with predefined targets.
- Simple checkbox to allow links to be opened in a new browser window or tab.