I have been tasked with seeing if Drupal can be made to run on IIS (specifically, IIS 7.5 running on Windows Server 2008 R2) and MS SQL Server (2008 R2). I'm aware of Microsoft's WebPI Drupal package, but since we have an existing site which we wish to migrate to this new environment I'd prefer to add the pieces that are needed so that they can go into the source control environment with the others rather than use a black box package. I am doing the experimentation with Drupal 7.14, which is the latest release at this time.
I have got basic PHP scripts to run (Hello World, phpinfo, etc), and installed the sqlsrv driver 7.x-1.2 (recommended at the present time) into Drupal. The Drupal installation process gets as far as to the database settings screen without any complaints. However, if I select MS SQL Server as backend:
- if I enter invalid database credentials I get an error back, as expected.
- if I enter valid database credentials, after clicking proceed I get a HTTP 500.0 error from IIS saying about php-cgi.exe
The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly.
I have enabled request tracing in IIS and found the error code
GENERAL_READ_ENTITY_END Reached the end of the file. (0x80070026) in the resulting log file. Googling for the hexadecimal error code produced very little in terms of helpful information.
drupal.org reports 4772 sites reporting using the sqlsrv module, so the module obviously works. Any hints on how to get it to work, preferably other than "use the WebPI packages"?
By setting Instance MaxRequests to 1, keeping Standard Error Mode at ReturnStdErrIn500, disabling friendly errors in IIS and ditto MSIE (thanks for the link @DigitalFire which pointed me in the right direction for this), I was able to get at what I suspect is the actual command output, or at least as close to it as I can easily get in the web browser. What is shown in MSIE's "View Source" is a plain, almost-empty, boilerplate HTML document with an empty body. Before I turned off MSIE's friendly HTTP error messages (who came up with the idea of having that turned on as standard on Server, anyway?) it showed
HTTP 500, so this is probably pretty close to the truth.
Using SQL Server's Profiler, I traced the database calls made and toward the end was the following, ignoring pure
-- repeated a number of times INSERT INTO system ([filename], [name], [type], [owner], [info]) VALUES (@P1, @P2, @P3, @P4, @P5) UPDATE system SET [status]=@P1 WHERE ([type] = @P2) AND ([name] = @P3) AND( ([status] <> @P4) OR ([status] IS NULL ) ) UPDATE system SET [bootstrap]=@P1 WHERE ( ([bootstrap] <> @P2) OR ([bootstrap] IS NULL ) ) INSERT INTO registry ([name], [type], [filename], [module], [weight]) VALUES (@P1, @P2, @P3, @P4, @P5)
INSERT occurs only once, with EventClass
SQL:StmtRecompile. I'm not sure this helps much...